Retailer Meijer, Inc., has announced an infant slipper socks recall. The recall applies to about 17,400 pairs of slipper socks, sized 0-12 months, and goes into effect immediately, reports the Sacramento Bee.
The recall affects slipper socks sold under the Falls Creek brand. Styles affected carry the names Bumble Bee and Lady Bug, reports the Bee.
Meijer, Inc., a retailer headquartered in Grand Rapids, Mich., described the defect as involving the balls at the end of the bug antennae mounted on each slipper. If the antenna balls detach, infants or young children could choke on them.
Meijer imported the affected slippers from a manufacturer located in China, reports About.com.
Meijer sold the recalled slipper socks to consumers at Meijer stores in Illinois, Kentucky, Michigan and Ohio. The slipper socks sold for about $4 per pair. The affected slipper socks included yellow and black Bumble Bee slipper socks, UPC 80640907401, and red and black Lady Bug slipper socks, UPC 80640907402.
The recalled slippers may be returned to any Meijer store for a full refund, reports About.com.
No injuries have been reported from the recalled slipper socks. But Meijer has received at least one report of a ball detaching from the end of an antenna, which was later found in a baby's crib, reports Forbes.
The recalled infant slipper socks were sold in Meijer stores from June 2009 through March 2011, reports the Sacramento Bee.
This is not Meijer's first infant shoe recall. In late 2010, the company announced a recall of 2,300 boys' shoes for choking hazards resulting from metal clips on the ends of shoelaces. That recall also involved shoes manufactured in China, and sold under the Falls Creek brand.
Consumers should take notice of this infant slipper socks recall, and take action immediately.
- Meijer Recalls Infant Slipper Socks Due to Choking Hazard (U.S. Consumer Products Safety Commission)
- Recalls and Product Safety News (U.S. Consumer Products Safety Commission
- Meijer Recalls Infant Shoes Due to Choking Hazard (FindLaw)
- Fisher-Price Fined $975,000 for Failure to Report Choking Hazard (FindLaw)